Here’s the thing…I really do love the Christmas Season! There are aspects of it, though, that I’m not so in love with. Some flat out drive me crazy! Yesterday I posted a list of the things I love about this time of year. Today…the other side of the coin, which I’m calling my “Grinch List”. Can you relate to any of them?
- The fact that Christmas decorations come out right after Halloween. I mean, let me get through Thanksgiving, okay???
- Mistletoe. No. Just no.
- Egg nog. I understand that some people LOVE the stuff. My husband is one of them. I just don’t get it. It’s thick, it’s an icky color for a drink. Give me a glass of wine.
- The constant barrage of 60s era cartoons. Is it really too much to ask that someone remake Rudolph? Animation has improved quite a bit. I can’t put my finger on exactly why, but those old “Christmas Specials” creep me out.
- Taking down decorations. Putting them up is so much fun…so much fun…playing Christmas music, everyone’s in the spirit! Am I the only one who has a nagging voice in the back of my head saying “taking these down is going to be a real bitch”?
- The Pressure! Ugh..I know I do it to myself…and I’ve got to stop. I have this NEED to make every Christmas the most magical Christmas EVER for my kids. They would be happy with half of what I do!
- The mess. The transformation of my living room from a beautiful wonderland filled with beautifully wrapped gifts to a garbage dump takes about 5 minutes. Cue the giant black garbage bags. How festive!
- Black Friday. You guys…going shopping at midnight should be limited to emergency medicine or diaper runs. Going shopping at midnight on Thanksgiving is just wrong. Lining up for the privilege? Bizarre. Fighting over merchandise? Insanity!
- Obligatory Christmas Parties. I spend time with people I want to spend time with. Office parties are the worst. We spend all day together, go home, get dressed up so we can meet back up and have stilted conversation? Pass.
- Christmas lights on anything that isn’t green. It makes me nuts to see lights strewn in empty branches. Ummm…that tree lost its leaves, folks. No need to highlight it. Put lights on evergreens, please.
- While we’re on the subject of Christmas Lights…houses that are lit up like they’re on fire are just hideous. Pick a few decorations. This competition to see who can make it seem like daylight in their neighborhood all night long are just crazy! Relax.
- Okay, now I’m on kind of a rant, I get that…but what about an inflatable, light-up Snowman (or candy cane, or reindeer) seemed like a good idea to you? They’re weird.
- Likewise for any animatronic or musical lawn decorations. Keep that stuff inside your house. We don’t need to see it.
- Christmas Sweaters. You love them or you hate them. Let me put it this way…I don’t love them.
- Mall Santas. First, they rarely look authentic. Second, why would you make your kid sit on a strange man’s lap?? Have you ever seen a “Visit to Santa” picture where the kid looks happy?? Me neither.
Whew! I feel better! I got a lot off my chest there. Are there things about Christmas that you aren’t wild about? It’s ok…there is good and bad in every season. The good definitely outweighs the bad, though! Merry Christmas!! 🎄